TXF Cape Town provided a comprehensive overview of the state of the market and regional financing opportunities.
With more than two days of networking, international leaders and some of the region’s largest corporates participated in panel discussions, case studies and innovative idea labs, as they will be addressing some of the key challenges facing the South African financing market. DFIs and MFIs are increasing support for new projects, trade blocs have renewed efforts to promote intra-African trade and ECAs are developing creative market offerings.
Some of the topics discussed included:
- The extent South Africa’s downgrade has caused a spike in demand for DFI/MFI finance
- Whether new power projects can counteract the region’s high energy cost
- Some of the obstacles to successfully promoting intra-African trade
- What can be done to facilitate greater ECA participation in South Africa
- Ways to mitigate the risk in key sectors such as water, infrastructure and power
Key participants included ECIC CEO Kutoane Kutoane, dti Minister Dr. Rob Davies and President & Chairman of the African Export-Import Bank Dr. Benedict Oramah.